History of KACCT:
- In 1922 the Kansas Association of Community Colleges, forerunner of KACCT, was formed.
- In 1994 KACCT, a non-profit corporation, was formed to serve our colleges and their locally elected boards in:
- providing accessible, affordable and quality education for our students.
- providing educational opportunities and leadership development for trustees, presidents and emerging leaders.
- coordinating "one voice" advocacy respecting the unique strengths of our colleges, local governance and education to meet our students, communities and partners' needs.
History of community colleges:
- Colleges authorized by the Kansas Legislature in 1917.
- Others created in the 1960's by legislative action, local enthusiasm and voter approval.
- Nineteen colleges are governed by local elected boards. The colleges are supported by local mill levies, state support and student tuition.
- Coordinating responsibility resides with the Kansas Board of Regents since 1999.